domingo, 3 de abril de 2011

Nos conocimos en enero. Inglés (VI)

We met in January and on 14th April she passed away. I had met her in the house of a friend in Madrid in 1931. She was not young anymore, but she looked smart and interesting for an inexperienced American tourist like me. I visited her charming palace next day in the evening, and she told me wonderful tales: She had been married to a sad husband, and lately she had been the lover of a handsome general, but he had run away to Paris, because he couldn’t stand Spain any more. She didn’t feel very well: I fear I am going to die soon, my new friend. She said. Have you got any children, madam? I asked. Yes, my daughter, who has been having sunbaths in San Sebastian last August, and skiing in Jaca last December;… but my grandson ,her son, will be terrible; he is a little barbarian, and I think he will kill his mother.

On 14th April I went to her burial. Her casqued was scruffy and dark, and nobody cried for her. Afterwards I travelled to Barcelona in order to take a ship to Houston. I was going to work for Texaco Company. But I have never forgotten the Spanish Lady.

Traducción

Nos conocimos en enero y el 14 de abril ella falleció. La había conocido en casa de un amigo en Madrid en 1931. Ella ya no era joven, pero resultaba elegante e interesante a un inexperto turista americano como yo. Visité su encantador palacio el siguiente día, y ella me contó fabulosas historias. Había estado casada con un marido aburrido, y últimamente había sido la amante de un guapo general, pero éste había huido a Paría, porque no podía soportar España por más tiempo. Ella no se encontraba muy bien: Me temo que voy a morir pronto, mi nuevo amigo. Dijo. ¿Tiene usted algún hijo, señora? Indagué. Sí, mi hija ha estado tomando el sol en San Sebastián en Agosto y esquiando en Jaca en diciembre, pero mi nieto, su hijo, será terrible, es tan sólo un pequeño bárbaro, y matará a su madre.

El 14 de abril fui a su entierro. Su ataúd era desastrado y oscuro, y nadie lloró por ella. Después me dirigí a Barcelona para tomar un barco a Houston. Yo iba a trabajar para la empresa Texaco. Pero nunca olvidé a la dama española.

ALQUÉZAR CARBÓ, Fernando Jesús.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario